Sunday, January 11, 2009

Heart Message from Shams


Dear family and friends of David Nur,

Just about two years ago, David stepped to the front of the church in Camarillo where the commemorative service for his father was being held. There was a certain sparkle about him as he spoke about learning the joy of hugging from his dad, who offered his embrace to everyone who came to their home. And he shared his vision of preparing himself to travel around the world as an emissary of love to all.

The next time I saw him was at a Sufi event about a year ago. During the ceremony he came forward and told us that while he hadn't sung in public before and was feeling nervous, he wanted to sing a song that evening. His voice grew in strength and sweetness as he sang, and touched us all. Later in the evening we spoke. Though I've known David since he was a teenager, these were the warmest moments I had with him. I told him how beautiful his song had been. He told me that I was one of the men in his life who he had always admired. And we hugged.

When I read Ananda's account of David's last hours, I was struck again by the power of his courage and love as he moved through the panoply of emotions welling in him, feeling and releasing them fully and arriving at a place of peace. That one of his young age, having endured a sudden and harsh challenge to his wishes for his life, was able at the end to realize and accept what was happening and to say "I'm ready to die," stirred me deeply. For me, this full-hearted embrace of himself and his life was David's final gift of love.

Shams

No comments: